Name of the unit conducting the studies:
Faculty of Horticulture
Name of postgraduate studies:
Plants and plant materials for health – quality and use
Assignment to the level of the Polish Qualifications Framework:
The study program is assigned to the 7th PQF level
Duration: 2 semesters
– studies will start in mid-October 2022. and will finish in June 2023.
– the course will be held over 12 sessions (Saturday-Sunday)
Faculty of Horticulture building, no. 35 (next to greenhouses).
Experimental Field of the Department of Vegetable and Medicinal Plants.
Dary Natury company in Podlasie
Total number of teaching hours: 215
Total number of ECTS credits: thirty
Description of people / groups of recipients to whom the postgraduate studies are dedicated:
The course is addressed to those wishing to deepen their knowledge on topics related to the cultivation of
and the use of medicinal and biologically active plants for preventive health care
and with the assessment of their quality and technology of trade. The course may be of interest to those wishing to
set up a company for the production, storage, marketing and processing of medicinal plants
and pro-health. The study topics may also be of interest to those with a hobbyist mindset,
wishing to broaden their knowledge of interesting plant species and plant substances
positively influencing the human condition and well-being.
Required prior qualifications:
Students can be enrolled if they have a diploma of at least first degree
General characteristics of learning outcomes:
Students of postgraduate programmes shall achieve, inter alia, the following learning outcomes: they shall acquire knowledge
on the cultivation requirements and the properties of health promoting and medicinal plants cultivated
and obtained from natural sites; acquires knowledge about the marketing of herbal products,
standardisation, legal regulations; learns the basics of plant breeding and storage methods
health-promoting and herbal products; learns the basics of pharmacognosy, pharmacology, human physiology
in order to select and use plant products skilfully; acquires the ability to recognise
the most important medicinal and health-promoting plants, evaluation of their useful qualities, selection of the time of harvesting,
selection of maintenance methods; acquires the ability to use standard methods of quality analysis
vegetable raw materials.
Conditions and admissions procedure for postgraduate studies:
Admissions is open and takes place on a first-come, first-served basis
Call deadline: 30 September 2022.
Minimum number of people to launch the edition: 26
Maximum number of places: 32
Due to the limited number of places on the course, we recommend that you enquire with the Course Director
for current availability, by phone or e-mail.
– application for admission / personal questionnaire
– a copy, or a copy certified by the university, of the diploma entitling the holder to take up
postgraduate education. If you graduated from a higher education institution abroad
you shall submit the original diploma and its translation into Polish certified by an authorised
institutions, as well as a document certifying recognition of the diploma or a certificate of exemption
from the nostrification procedure.
– proof of payment of tuition fees, at least for the first semester if paid in 2 instalments, or payment
in full in the case of a one-off payment
Documents can be submitted via
traditional post, by registered mail
Department of Vegetable and Medicinal Plants, Warsaw University of Life Sciences (WULS-SGGW)
Str. Nowoursynowska 159
02-776 Warsaw, Poland
The total cost of attendance for one postgraduate student is: PLN 4900
payment in two installments
o First instalment of PLN 2450 – by 1 October 2022.
o 2nd instalment £2450 – by 15 February 2023.
Admission to postgraduate studies takes place after the total of:
– fulfilment of the admissions requirements,
– paying for the course and sending the payment confirmation to the Head of Studies within 7 days at the latest
before starting studies.
At the justified request of the student, submitted before the required payment date,
The Dean may postpone the payment date or divide the payment into installments.
The procedure and conditions for completing postgraduate studies (on the terms specified in the Study Regulations
Postgraduate studies at the Warsaw University of Life Sciences):
– credit for all courses taken during the studies,
– passing the final examination on the material covered during the course of study with a mark of
at least sufficient,
– completion and defence of a diploma thesis in the final examination with at least a satisfactory result.
Detailed rules for the preparation, submission and defense of the diploma thesis and the final exam:
1. The diploma thesis is performed by a student under the supervision of a person selected by the
Head of studies from among the lecturers due to his/her competence in the chosen subject
2. Theses topics selected by the student are approved by the Head of Postgraduate Studies.
3. The student should choose the topic of the thesis during the first semester of classes.
4. The diploma thesis is a literature review.
5. The deadline for submitting the diploma thesis – no later than one week before the final exam.
6. Defence of the diploma thesis takes place during the final examination before a commission appointed by
Dean of the Faculty at the request of the Head of Postgraduate Studies.
7. The date of the final examination is determined by the Head of Postgraduate Studies in the course plan.
The exam takes place no earlier than a week after the last meeting in June. Persons,
who do not pass the examination on the first date may take the examination on the second date
designated by the Head of Studies, no later than 30 September.
8. The final grade for the degree programme, awarded by the Examination Board, shall be the arithmetic mean of
from the final exam grade and the diploma dissertation grade.
9. In order to be admitted to the final examination it is necessary to pass all subjects
carried out at postgraduate studies. Completion of the course is made in writing –
test. The pass mark is required to obtain a minimum of 50% of the points for the test.